Atlanta-based Coca-Cola Refreshments has earned the number-three spot—or Bronze, in Olympic terms— on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) list of the largest on-site green power generators. EPA's Green Power Partnership includes more than 1,300 organizations, which have been recognized for their deployment of alternative energies.
A key factor in Coca-Cola Refreshments' high ranking is the recent installation of a landfill-gas-to-energy system at one of its Atlanta facilities. The system supplies most of the facility's energy needs, including electricity, steam and chilled water. It is one of the largest biogas projects of its kind in the United States. The use of bio-fuels, fuel cells and solar panels to provide alternative energy at other facilities also contributed to the recognition.
"The EPA applauds Coca-Cola Refreshments as a leader in using green power," said Blaine Collison, director of EPA's Green Power Partnership. "Coca-Cola was named a Top Partner due to the company's commitment to reducing its carbon footprint through on-site renewable energy generation."
The system at the Atlanta plant generates at least 47.5 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of on-site biomass energy annually. This is equivalent to eliminating the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of more than 6,000 passenger vehicles per year.
"Investing in energy efficiency projects like the landfill-gas-to-energy system creates multiple benefits. It helps The Coca-Cola Company meet our environmental sustainability goals while reducing costs in our manufacturing process," said Brian Kelley (News - Alert), chief product supply officer for Coca-Cola Refreshments. "Being named a Green Power Partner by the Environmental Protection Agency is validation for our ongoing work in creating energy and carbon efficiencies in our supply chain."
The landfill-gas-to-energy project was part of the facility's effort to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED is the world's most influential rating system among the standards for assessment of environmental sustainability of facilities. The use of recycled materials, renewable energy, energy-efficient lighting and mechanical systems in the facility's design, as well as reduction in water consumption, were all winning aspects that contributed to receiving certification.
The EPA’s list of the Top 20 organizations/partners in on-site renewable power generation for 2012 includes:
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc./California and Texas Facilities, 114.9 million kilowatt-hours (kWh), four percent of on-site energy use; biogas, solar, wind
- BMW Manufacturing Co.,/Greer, South California; 61.8 million kWh, 37 percent, biogas
- Coca-Cola Refreshments, 47.5 million kWh, six percent, biogas
- U.S. Air Force, 39.7 million kWh, one percent, biogas, solar, wind
- City of San Francisco, 31.8 million kWh, four percent, biogas, solar
- Kohl’s Department Stores, 28.3 million kWh, solar
- SC Johnson & Son, Inc., 27.9 million kWh, 15%, biogas,
- City of San Jose, California, 27.5 million kWh, 15 percent, biogas, solar
- City of San Diego, 20.3 million kWh, eight percent biogas, small hydro, solar
- City of Portland, Oregon, 13.8 million v, eight percent, biogas, small hydro, solar, wind
- Encina Wastewater Authority: 11.9 million kWh, 70 percent, biogas
- Adobe Systems Inc (News - Alert)., 11.6 million kWh, 19 percent, biogas,
- City of Tulare, California/Wastewater Treatment Plant, 11.3 million kWh, 34 percent, biogas, solar
- Google (News - Alert) Inc., 10.6 million kWh, one percent, biogas, solar
- University of Iowa/Main Campus Building, 8.6 million kWh, three percent, biomass
- Safeway Inc., 9 million kWh, one percent, biogas, solar, wind
- City of Santa Cruz, California, Wastewater Treatment Plant, 6.6 million kWh, 58 percent, biogas, solar
- Zotos International, 5.5 million kWh, 51 percent, wind
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 5.3 million kWh, 27 percent, solar wind
- Central Michigan University, 5 million kWh, eight percent, biomass
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO West 2012, taking place Oct. 2-5, in Austin, TX. ITEXPO (News - Alert) offers an educational program to help corporate decision makers select the right IP-based voice, video, fax and unified communications solutions to improve their operations. It's also where service providers learn how to profitably roll out the services their subscribers are clamoring for – and where resellers can learn about new growth opportunities. For more information on registering for ITEXPO click here.
Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO. Follow us on Twitter.
Edited by Brooke Neuman