You are “what” you eat—but you also are “where” you eat, if your choice is an eco-friendly establishment. Apple (News - Alert)-Metro, Inc., the New York Metro-area Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar franchisee, will open New York City’s first USGBC LEED Gold-certified restaurant on December 10.
Not only does this sit-down, casual eatery at 117th Street in Manhattan offer a comfortable environment for 350+ diners; the U.S. Green Building Council LEED Gold- certified location is equipped with more than 40 environmentally friendly upgrades—among them:
- Rainwater and daylight harvesting;
- Air purification unit;
- Tankless hot water heaters;
- LED interior light fixtures and exterior signs, as well as dimmer controls;
- Energy Star-rated equipment and TVs;
- Living walls;
- A roof partially made from white reflective rubber;
- Occupancy sensors and air curtains;
- Recycled foam in walk in cooler walls
- Recycled PVC floor in the kitchen and recycled carpet in the dining room;
- Storage and collection of recyclables;
- Pulper and extractor at the dishwashing unit;
- Bamboo chandeliers, bar, and countertops, reclaimed wood; and
- Water-efficient landscaping.
At the front of the restaurant, there will be a Green Education Touchscreen, which will inform customers about the features that make the restaurant so eco-friendly and the benefits of living in a greener environment. Free Wi-Fi also is available.
“I am so proud we are continuing our green initiatives—culminating in a LEED-certified location! As we began construction on the 117th St. location, it became apparent that this needed to be New York City’s first USGBC LEED Gold Certified Restaurant. We felt it would pave the way for all other restaurants to move toward making environmentally conscious upgrades. It’s about being a good neighbor, both locally and globally,” said Zane Tankel, founder and CEO of Apple-Metro, Inc., adding “We are focusing on green practices and are on a regular schedule of renovating and remodeling our existing restaurants to ensure that Applebee’s in New York City is becoming more environmentally friendly,” he added.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.
Edited by Brooke Neuman